Monday, September 12, 2011

It's My Birthday Week!

It's almost my birthday!

I know that as we get older, modern society tells us that we should like our birthdays less and less. However, I find myself liking them more and more. There's just something wonderful about it being "my day." I recognize that I share that day with many others, but it's still just so fun!

I've decided to buy myself a present or two this year. Would you like to know what I'm getting? It's not like I'm going to wrap things up and give them to myself. That would be weird.

I'm getting a new doorknob.

Odd? Perhaps. But if you've been to my house in the past year and a half, you'll know that my bedroom has been without a doorknob for almost that long.

See...we had the Young Women over to my house for a sleepover, and one of the girls accidently locked my door and then closed it behind her. Neither I nor my property manager had a key for this door. And the window was closed and locked because we had the a/c on. So I let the girls do their best to pick the lock (we called it "learning a new skill"), but no one could get it open. When the locksmith came the next day he said that if we hadn't tried to pry it off he probably could have saved it, but we had pushed it beyond revival.

Since then I've had a pair of socks stuck in the hole in my door where a knob should be. And at night I have a rock that I use to keep the door closed. (My "Y" rock from BYU freshman orientation.)

But I've decided that 33 is grown up enough to need a doorknob. Maybe 32 wasn't, but 33 definitely is.

Now I just have to learn how to install it. Can that count for Personal Progress? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment