Sunday, September 11, 2011

God Bless America

I love the Sabbath Day. For me (most of the time), it is a day of rest. Yes, this often means a nap, but it also means time for reading, journal writing, family visits, family history, working on my calling, and maybe a nice evening walk.

Today has been a little bit different though. It's the tenth anniversary of the tragedy of September 11th.

Like many Americans, I remember that morning very clearly. I was living at home with my family, preparing to leave on a mission. I was asleep, actually, when my mom came into my room to wake me. My brother, Danny, was on his mission in Tennessee. Kari and David and my dad were all at school I think. But Mom and I watched together as the events unfolded. It was hard to believe what were were watching. It truly didn't seem real. It seemed like something created for a movie.

But it was very real.

And, I have to say, that even now, the images of that day are difficult for me to watch. It became too real. And I didn't even know anyone who was there or really affected. But I think that it affected each of us - somehow.

I don't have any great insights about the memorial of this day. But I do have a couple of links to share.

The first is a Washington Post commentary that the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, President Thomas S. Monson wrote about 9/11 and faith. Just as we say that we will never forget the tragic losses and the sacrifices that so many made that day, I hope that we will never forget the faith that sustained so many of us. That same faith can sustain us every single day.

The second is a broadcast of Tom Brokaw and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir that aired today. I just think that it's a beautiful musical tribute to those lost and those who carry on.

I'm so grateful to live in a free country, and I am overwhelmingly grateful for those who have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice to provide us with our freedoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment