Friday, May 7, 2010

Can Anybody Find Me Somebody To...Date?

For those of you who didn't get this on facebook...

First off, I hope that you heard Queen (or at least Glee's remake of the song) as you read the title of this e-mail. Otherwise it's not funny and doesn't make any sense. Onward...

There are two things in life (ok – definitely more than two, but just go with me on this one) at which I’m not very good: 1. asking for help; 2. dating. I really want to be better at both of these short-comings, so I’m putting them together in this letter. Yes, I am asking for help with dating.

This may seem more than a little unorthodox, but let me explain. In an effort to be a better dater, I set a goal at the beginning of the year. I wanted to go on 24 dates this year. In fact, my unofficial slogan was going to be, “Jenn meets men in 2010.” Catchy, huh? I figured that I could easily find a way to go on two dates per month. As it turns out - that’s easier said than done. So far, we’re mid-way through the 2nd quarter of the year and my grand total is…3. I know – pathetic.

So I’ve decided to swallow my pride (it’s a rather big swallow, let me tell you) and ask for help. Even though I like to think that I can do everything on my own, maybe I can’t. So here comes the question: Will you - family and friends - rack your collective brains to try and think of any nice eligible men that you know who may want to go on a date with me…and then set us up?

:) What do you think?

Let me give a few simple guidelines to help as you ponder this. I’m not trying to be a micro-manager, so just think of these as helpful hints. I’ll keep them short and sweet: 1. active member of the LDS church; 2. somewhere within a five year radius of my age (I’m 31); and 3. not creepy. Yes, I know that these are pretty broad guidelines, but use good judgment. I do reserve the right to be picky when it comes to chocolate, shoes, and marriage. But I’m pretty open when it comes to first dates.

Please know that I’m not asking any of you to find me Mr. Perfect. Maybe just Mr. I-think-he-and-Jenn-might-enjoy-spending-a-couple-of-hours-together-on-a-date. Heck – even one hour. Lunch counts as a date, right? Also, I am willing to travel (within reason) and/or come up with ideas for and plan the dates. (Just FYI - I’ll be in Vancouver BC for a week in June and Boise sometime this summer.)

Really, I just want to give dating my best effort, and I need help to do that. It’s hard to meet people. And kind of scary - if I may be perfectly frank. So I (and I’m sure my parents) thank you in advance for helping my plight. I’ll end now. You all are the best for humoring and helping me. Much love and many thanks, Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment